International Student Advising Office


Regular student

Undergraduate School
Graduate School

Advice for Foreign Candidates of Our Graduate School

The Graduate School of Science, Nagoya University, is one of the best research institutes in Japan. For last several years, PhD holders of this graduate school won the Nobel Prize.

Thus the candidates are required to be high-educated, research facility, and ambitious. You should start to prepare studying abroad one year early, and contact with a professor of research group which you want to join.

  1. Check the homepages of faculty (Physics, Chemistry, Bioscience, and Mathematics) which you want to apply. Find out a potential professor (academic adviser) whom you want to conduct your research together.
  2. Contact with the potential professor by e-mail to ask a possibility you can join the research group. Attach the information; 1) your CV, 2) transcript (undergraduate school and graduate school), 3) a brief description of your research interest or plan. Your research interest should not be too general and you must include the clear reason why you chose the potential adviser. To proof your research facility, additional information (ex. publication list, thesis, etc) and interview by internet could be required.
  3. If the potential professor accepts you, settle the details with the adviser (ex. When do you come and take an entrance examination? ; In the case of the regular program, candidates usually come more than half years early to Nagoya as research students and prepare the entrance examination.)
  4. Proceed your application process (ex. submission of paper materials to Nagoya University, application of VISA to enter in Japan, etc). The potential professor help you with the procedure.
Guidebook for New Foreign Student

Short-term Student Exchange Program Nagoya University Program for Academic Exchange (NUPACE)

Nagoya University offers a short-term student exchange program (four to twelve months) for international students enrolled at Nagoya University's partner institutes. The NUPACE academic year runs from late September to August of the following year, and students are offered a choice of two admission periods: late September or early April. Foreign students can have opportunities of classes, researches, and Japanese language courses,
more detail

Research Student

A Research student is a student who does not seek a academic degree (bachelor, master, and PhD) and conducts research on his/her field in the faculty.

Page top

  • Special Site